Saturday, January 06, 2007

Journal 1514


Here is the cover of the next traveling journal I'll be sending off.
This one, as you can see, will be about people's image of the Goddess.
A theme that is very close to my heart. Just imagine, thousands of years ago, the face of God was female. Just about everywhere. The Goddess in me mourns her passing, but then I realize that we still keep her in our hearts, where she faintly whispers. Sometimes.

When I was younger, and didn't really know much about Goddess lore, I made a vessel in the vague shape of a woman. I decorated it with different little designs that had no particular meaning at the time. Many years later, I found those same designs in Maria Gijmbutas' book "The language of the Goddess" on many vessels and Goddess figures.
Collective memory, perhaps?















This is a picture of that vessel --front and back. It's signed and dated in 1991. Seems like it was in another life...

5 comments:

Victoria Koldewyn said...

that's really neat - I'd say you were/are definitely operating on intuition, tapping in. Sweet!!!

Etayne said...

Isn't it something? I miss doing pottery.

Lhonez said...

While I know very little about the visual arts, I do know that I like your art very much. I find your female forms very beautiful, enticing, sensual, somtimes erotic and occasionally arousing. I look forward to many more posts.

Etayne said...

Les, I think you know quite a bit about visual art, judging by your photographs. I love the female form, it's roundness and softness. Back when I took drawing lessons, I found the male form much different to draw, all angles.
Thank you for your compliments!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I apply what I know about music and form to my photographs. I wish they were half as good as your drawings.

Next time I am in Morristown you can draw my angles. ;)